What’s up guys? It’s been a while, I’m sorry for not frequently having my personal posts up here. I’m really not a good a writer.
So, I’d be short and precise on this new post of mine “#AbeokutaIsReady! Abeokuta Living | Exciting Places To Visit In Abeokuta”.
Abeokuta is the largest city and state capital of Ogun State in southwest Nigeria.
I have spent 20+ years in the ancient city of Abeokuta and my whole life (as at time of writing this) has been in Abeokuta (Primary, Secondary and Tertiary Education).
“…..Abeokuta is a boring place, it’s also a lifeless place”. I can’t count the number of times I have heard those words. One of the major reasons I decided to write this up and I’m very sure, you’d change your mind after going through the list of exciting places in Abeokuta.
1. Ake Palace: Ake palace is home to the traditional ruler of the Egba clan, whose title is Alake of Egbaland.
There are different statures, busts and figurines in the compound and each telling its own tale. The palace is rich in art, culture, history and the tradition of the Egba clan.There are palace staffs who will take you on a tour of the palace.
If you’re in Abeokuta, Ake Palace is definitely a place you should visit if you’re living or visting Abeokuta.
2. Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library (OOPL):
Ok, OOPL is one of the most exciting places in Abeokuta, no doubt. The Library is owned by Chief Olusegun Obasanjo. It is a historic, tourist and academic centre.
The compound that houses the Library also contains different attractive centers
– OOPL Wildlife Park
– Bamboo Groove
– Grill House
– Game Center
– Green Legacy Resort
OOPL is definitely a place, you’d want to be.
3. Olumo Rock: You have definitely heard about this before or being there before. Olumo Rock is the most popular and most visited tourist center in Ogun State. It was used as a fortress by the people of Abeokuta during the war back then.
Staying on top of the rock allows you to see almost all the whole of Abeokuta and you get to hear the story of the rock. There is a art museum, a restaurant and a shrine.
4. Coldstone and Domino’s Pizza: I don’t even know why I added Coldstone and Domino’s Pizza 😂 😂.
Incase it’s been long you visited Abeokuta or you have heard a rumour of us not having Coldstone and Domino’s pizza, well, I can now gladly tell you that’s now history. The famous Coldstone and Domino’s Pizza is now in Abeokuta 😁.
5. KUTA: Are you a fan of art ?
Then Kuta is definitely a place you need to visit in Abeokuta.
KUTA is an art community that create an environment which enable visual artists and other creatives in Ogun State to showcase & improve their talents, exhibit & promote their works and ultimately impact our Community by speaking through Art.
They have an ingenious space founded for creatives to network, co-work and engage in creative exercises and the space is called NEST By KUTA
6. Rockspace: Yes! We finally have a coworking place in the city of Abeokuta.
It’s a space for Social Innovators, Freelancers, Creators, Startups, Entrepreneurs and “Techpreneurs”; to meet, work, connect, collaborate, create, inspire and hack ideas.
They are the first Co-working Space and Ideation Lab in Abeokuta, Ogun State.
Other places you can visit:
7. The Abeokuta Central Mosque: The Achitetural design of the mosque is a sight for sore eyes which you can’t ignore.
8. Centenary Hall: The hall was built by the Egba people to commemorate their one hundred years story of peaceful existence at Abeokuta after the inter-tribal wars.
The amazing architectural design of the building made Davido to shoot the musical video for his single “Fia Fia” at the building.
9. Abeokuta National Museum: I bet you don’t know that there’s a National musuem in Abeokuta.
I have been there once thanks to the usual primary school excursion 😂. The museum is suitated at Idi-Aba.
There are definitely a lot of clubs these days in Abeokuta but Mood Club is definitey one of the hottest and biggest night club you’ll find in the city.
The Golf Resort has hosted various national and international golf competiton.
12. Park Inn By Radison: Without any doubt, this is the best hotel in Abeokuta.
It has a serene and quite environment but it’s expensive for people like us to chill there 😊
….Abeokuta City Center (Biggest Mall in West Africa 😁, yea you read that right) under construction tho😊
So, what do you think guys? Did I forget to mention some places, if yes kindly comment below and for those saying Abeokuta is a boring place, I hope you can pick from these list of places to visit.
Thanks for reading